Marking History--Again And Again!
Two new markers dedicated, two more soon to come.
Since 2002, LHS has placed thirteen historical markers around Lakewood, and two more are in the works (watch for the dedication ceremonies, to be announced here and on our Facebook page). Click on links for pictures and inscriptions.
1. VISITATION VILLA. Attached to the front wall (facing the parking lot) of the Safeway in Lakewood Towne Center, just to the left of its southern entrance.
2. BRADLEY BLOCKHOUSE & FLETT HOUSE. Attached to free-standing boulder at the corner of Custer Road and Bridgeport Way.
3. WESTERN STATE HOSPITAL HISTORICAL CEMETERY. Embedded in rock pyramid in Fort Steilacoom Park, just north of the off-leash dog park and just east of the Waughop Lake parking lot.
4. THE TACOMA SPEEDWAY Embedded in a boulder near the buildings of Clover Park Vocational College's automotive program, in the southeast corner of the campus.
5. THE MUELLER-HARKINS AIRPORT HANGAR. Attached to wall of Building 5, home to Clover Park Tech College's roofing program, to right of front entry. Located in northeast corner of campus.
6. THE BYRD SCHOOL. A free-standing marker, placed at the corner of 88th St. Ct. SW and Old Byrd School Ave. SW. in Lakewood.
7. LAKEWOLD GARDENS. 12317 Gravelly Lake Dr SW, Lakewood (near the gift shop).
8. THE OAKES PAVILLION AND LAKEWOOD ICE ARENA. Located inside the Steilacoom Blvd entrance to the Waters Edge Condos near the bridge across Chambers Creek.
9. OLD SETTLERS CEMETERY. Located behind cemetery entrance gate about a half block east of Washington Blvd and 83rd Ave SW intersection.
10. BOATMAN-AINSWORTH HOUSE. Located in front yard of house, across 112th St. SW from Clover Park High School and just east of 112th and Cloverdale Ct SW interesection.
11. HEATH FARM. Located between the two westernmost buildings (Officers' Quarters) of Historic Ft. Steilacoom on the grounds of Western State Hospital, 9601 Steilacoom Blvd SW.
12. TACOMA COUNTRY & GOLF CLUB. Located near the front entrance of the club house, 13204 Country Club Drive SW, Lakewood.
13. CHAUNCEY & JOHANNA GRIGGS HOUSE. Located near the intersection of 80th St SW & 70th Ave Ct SW in Lakewood. NOTE: The Griggs House is on private property; please respect the owners' privacy.
TWO MORE MARKERS have been placed and will soon be dedicated.
If the placement of markers like these, spreading knowledge and encouraging appreciation of our rich local history strikes you as a worthy activity, please show your support by joining us. Sign up at our museum at 6211 Mt. Tacoma Drive SW in Lakewood Colonial Center during our hours of noon to 4 pm, Weds-Sat, or call us at (253) 682-3480. Thank you!
Read more News Stories